Monday, April 03, 2006

Star Search 1.0

Frequent star sightings are part of living here in L.A. Its odd how often I will see a familiar face on the street and not be able to immediately determine how I know them. Are they a work acquaintance? Or an actor... or waiter... or (as the joke goes) perhaps both? I often find myself smiling a greeting at people before realizing that I don't *actually* know them. I even waved once at one of the Alias actors on the studio lot, since I've seen him there so often. On the other hand, there are a couple of working actresses in my tap class that I didn't know about until I saw them on TV... startling, I assure you.
Most of our star sightings are of the B variety, and we play a sort of actor trivial pursuit while we try to figure out who they are:
"Movies or TV?"
"TV I'd say."
"But he was younger..."
"Yeah, much younger. Chubbier maybe. With different hair. I'm thinking... he was in an X-filles episode."
"Oh... yeah, yeah... He played a vampire pizza delivery guy with glowing eyes. Yeah, that guy."
This past week though we've had a couple of pretty good ones. First was Timothy Dalton at the Virgin Megastore on Sunset, in his weekend sloppies, standing in line to buy a book with the rest of the unwashed. He has a little less hair than in his Bond/Flash Gordon days, and glasses, but it was him. The second one was Adam Sandler, in plaid flannel, standing outside of the Market City Cafe in Burbank and talking on a cell phone. He made me giggle as I walked by, because for some reason I didn't expect his voice would really sound like that.